Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Filmaking Aussie Style???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    very cool. i want to move there too -- after i've lived in paris for a few years, which is my first plan, and after los angeles, which is my second plan should i win the green card lottery. ;-)

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would like to know how hard it is for a freelance DP that owns gear to get work??</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    you're a citizen or how did you get your work permit? they say it's almost impossible to get one and that there's very little off the record work.

    /matt

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The permits are not what I am concerned about. I got those covered.

    I need to know about the ins and outs.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have been bouncing around the idea of moving to the land down under for a bit. Now it looks like things are falling into place. I should be there Feb. 2003.

    I would like to know how hard it is for a freelance DP that owns gear to get work?? Will I have to jump through a lot of the same hoops I had to in the States?? Give me some details.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The permits are not what I am concerned about. I got those covered.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    duh, that's why i asked how you got it. ;-)

    /matt

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nigel, I'm curious why you're moving there.
    Is it just because you like the place, or do you think you'll have more chance of getting DP work there?

    I'd love to go there too, just because it seems like a great place to spend some time, but since I live only 400 miles from L.A., it's nuts not to move there first (which i will do).

    In fact, after I'm done on the script I'm writing now, I have another one that takes place in Australia.
    So hopefully, I'll get financing to make the film there, so it will be an all-expense paid trip!!!
    At least that's the plan...

    Matt Pacini

  6. #6
    Inactive Member wahiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    181
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [img]confused.gif[/img] What is a freelance DP that owns gear? please.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member pauls opinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2002
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "DP" or "DOP" means Director Of Photography.. he means a cameraman with his own pro camera

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The reason I am going is to be with a close friend.

    To avoid a long really long story--The short of it is that a good friend that I lived with in the UK has been living outside Sydney. He is getting married and asked me to be his best man.

    Well, I decided that instead of going for two weeks I should go for longer. So, I am going to move ther for at least six months. But, I want to work whilst there.

    I need all the help I can get.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Scottness's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can give you a moderate answer I spose - I've been working in my own little bubble so I'm not really the best to ask - but from what I've seen with the DOP's I've come across is there's a bit of competition and for someone jsut starting you do a bit of defferal based (free) work - get a good name for your self - get to meet poeple and eventually start to make your way in -- most work I think is in Sydney - but Queensland has the highest amount of overseas (US) originated productions being shot here - Scooby Doo, The Thin Red LIne - a squillion ohters - though I think making commercials is the bread and butter of most people -- if you want more info try posting on this Australian film board
    http://www.filmnet.org.au/

    good luck!

    Scot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •